Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Hellenismos Day and Calendar

Probably the most interesting thing (to me at least) about ancient Hellas is the fact that their calendar not only is lunar based, but so are their days! Allow me to explain.




In modern day, a new day will begin at midnight, correct? In ancient Hellas, it began at sundown. Confused? Let me give an example. February 22nd (tomorrow's date) would start at midnight of today, right? This is also why in the military, midnight is designated as 00:00. However, back then, the new day was at sundown; essentially, their "midnight" was as soon as the sun goes down.

Now, the thing is, the time of sundown changes seasonally. When it's Winter locally (because when it's Winter in the Northern Hemisphere it's Summer in the Southern Hemisphere) sundown comes much sooner while in Summer it comes later. I personally am using around 5 pm right now to indicate the start of a new day on the Hellenismos Calendar. I will most likely push that time later as the days become longer.

Now, with that explanation, it's time to "zoom out" - if you will - to the months and years. There is currently a place where you can use the Hellenismos calendar (right here) and it's been very helpful for me. You may be looking at it and wondering "What in the WORLD am I looking at?!". I'll do my best to explain. From what I understand, there are four "years" in a cycle. This cycle revolves around the Pan Olympic Games (I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong). Each year in the cycle has 12 months. these months are based on the lunar cycle, with the month ending on the day of the New Moon. However, there is sometimes an extra month because of the occasional extra lunar cycle. The calendar most use today substitutes this with the "Leap Year" (notice how it occurs every 4 years?) via adding a day in February only. However, the modern calendar has alternating 30-31 days in a month. Due to being based on the lunar cycles, the Hellenismos calendar will have a full extra month, usually named after an already done month (usually Poseidon)

As of this post, we are on Day 2 of the Month of Anthesterion, in the 2nd Year of the 698 Olympiad Cycle. Today is actually a special day; the monthly Agathos Daimon and the festival of Dionusos. I will post more on both in my next post.

See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment